Are you tired? Do you have a sore back? Maybe stiffness in your joints?
Any of these symptoms could be from overextending yourself, but they could alternatively be in part to inflammation. Inflammation(1) can often be the root cause of a lot of health issues in our bodies, ranging from arthritis to a variety of autoimmune diseases. It occurs when the immune system triggers an inflammatory response sending white blood cells charging to the front lines of what your body thinks is an internal battle, when there is in fact no fight to be fought. Healthy tissue gets attacked, thus resulting in discomfort.
While inflammation can be frustrating, it is not necessarily untreatable. Through a combination of diet and exercise, you can ward off inflammation and the havoc it may try to wreck on your body. Below, we’ll talk about a few ways to win the war against inflammation.
Supplements & spices can be a terrific aid in combating inflammation. You want to look for ingredients that have anti-inflammatory properties such a turmeric(2), rosemary, cinnamon, and ginger(3), to name just a few. An exciting supplement on the market right now helping to provide relief against inflammatory discomfort is Joint Vitality by Pure Vitality. Joint Vitality offers a comprehensive solution for joint health by using a multi-pronged approach to address the root causes of joint discomfort using a unique combination of ingredients.
Tumeric, an anti-inflammatory all-star, is of course at the top of the ingredient list, but when combined with Asian & Middle Eastern-derived Boswelia gum(4), the benefits are elevated to the next level. Boswelia gum can help increase immunity and has additional anti-inflammatory impact when combined with turmeric. Piperine (black pepper) is used as an aid in digestion, particularly for the turmeric, making it easier for your body to absorb these super ingredients. Additionally, Joint Vitality has a developed a special Cartilage Rebuild formula made up of New Zealand deer velvet, glucosamine HCL, chondroitin sulfate and mega-patent sodium to help joints recover that may have been attacked during an inflammation flare up.
In conjunction with a solid supplement, diet plays a pivotal role in fighting inflammation. Here are three recipes to take you through the day in a delicious way, that work double-duty as anti-inflammatory security guards.
Breakfast: Spanish Frittata
This savory frittata serves 4-6 and uses 12 eggs (of course), ½ cup of coconut milk (plot twist!), ½ tsp sea salt, 2 Tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil, 1 small red onion, ½ cup sauteed mushrooms or your favorite veggie (fermented vegetables(5) pack a particularly good anti-inflammatory punch), and 1 cup spinach or arugula.
- After heating the oven to 375͐°, whisk eggs and coconut milk with 2 pinches of salt.
- Use coconut oil in pan on medium-high heat, and saute onions until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms or chosen vegetables and saute until soft. Toss spinach into veggie mixture and set aside.
- Turn heat to low and add more coconut oil as needed, then using the same skillet, add eggs and cover over medium-low for 5 minutes spreading the eggs evenly to coat the pan. Then add vegetables on top, also spreading evenly.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 5 minutes until lightly set and brown. Using an oven mit to pull the pan out of the oven, flip the frittata onto a plate and put back in the oven, cooked side up, for another 3-4 minutes.
Refreshing and distinctive, this salad will help you forget your arthritis and transport you to joint-pain-free surfing in Hawaii. Serving a party of 4, this salad includes 1 cup rinsed and dried quinoa, ½ finely chopped red onion, 1 cup finely chopped apple or carrot, juice of 1 lime, 2 tablespoons honey or agave, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 large chopped mango, ¼ cup mint, 1 tsp sea salt, black pepper, ½ inch piece of ginger, 1 chopped avocado, 1 cup chopped cashews, and 3 cups romaine lettuce (washed!).
- Bring two cups of water to a boil and add quinoa, bringing to a simmer for 15-20 minutes. Set aside a let cool when done.
- Toss onion, apple and/or carrot together in a large bowl. Whisk lime juice, honey, and olive oil, then add to bowl.
- Add cooked quinoa and mango to bowl and toss well.
- Mix in mint, cilantro, ginger, salt and pepper to taste, add mixture to greens and garnish with avocado and cashews.
This fragrant dish is as beautiful as it is devourable. A vivid combination of herbs (mint, parsley or cilantro), 2 tablespoons yogurt (or if you want to go dairy free, tahini), 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 cup roasted root vegetables of your choosing, ¼ tsp black pepper (to activate that tumeric!), 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee, 1 can chickpeas, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp sugar or honey and ¼ tsp kosher salt are all combined to create a superfood feast.
- If cooking with rice, use 1 part rice to 2 cups water, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a gentle simmer for 35-40 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil or ghee in a medium pan over medium heat, add chickpeas and cook until crispy, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in garam masala, cooking for another minute. Add roasted root vegetables, sugar, honey, salt and pepper, stirring often until heated through about 2-4 minutes. Stir in lemon juice last.
- Serve vegetable mixture over rice, topping with yogurt or tahini and garnishing with herbs.
You may notice that these recipes are mostly plant-based with the exception of egg in the frittata. One of the reasons for this is that humans need fiber and antioxidants(6), of which fruits and vegetables are a great source. The human intestinal tract works best when it gets the fiber it needs to assist in passing food. The antioxidants that are essential for biochemical and physiological functions, can’t be provided by consuming meat alone, but rather need to be combined with the antioxidants provided by fruits and vegetables. You can still have an anti-inflammatory diet that contains meat, but a plant leaning diet can help yield higher positive results in fighting inflammation.
You are now equipped with the starter tools you need to begin your journey to treating inflammation through dietary changes and supplements! In addition to the above recipes and aforementioned Joint Vitality, Pure Vitality provides a wide range of supplements that treat a variety of conditions, all of which can be found HERE.
Pure Vitality a natural supplement company based in an isolated village nestled against the snow-capped Southern Alps of New Zealand. We research health conditions thoroughly to discover the underlying root causes, find the most effective natural remedies, target the root causes rather than use a Band-Aid approach, use a multi-prong approach to fix the root causes from many directions and use high potency ingredients at scientifically supported amounts.
Natural Ways to Manage and Ease Holiday Stress
Colored lights are twinkling all over suburban neighborhoods, Christmas songs are playing in shopping malls and coffe...
12 Best Health & Wellness Gifts for 2018
The Health and Wellness movement is bigger than ever and it seems as though you’d be hard pressed to not know a good ...
What Are Deer Placenta Supplements?
The placenta is a temporary fleshy organ that develops in the uterus of mammals during pregnancy. It surrounds the fe...